If you don’t know by now, I really love my Kitchen Aid Food Grinder. I use it often. It has fired my creative juices and I have made some very good things using it. Now that it’s grilling season, I’m going to try to come up with some recipes for some healthier options for the grill.
A couple weeks ago, we decided to grind up some chicken for Chicken Burgers. Here is the basic recipe I used for the burgers. And below that, I will list a few ways you can jazz them up. I added some McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning which has garlic, onion and pepper, to my burgers. It gave the burgers a very hearty flavor that made my meat-missing son a little less lonely for a traditional cheeseburger.
Homemade Chicken Burgers
3 chicken breasts, ground
1/2 cup bread crumbs
chopped onion to taste (maybe 1/4 cup)
crushed garlic (1 clove)
seasonings (I used 1 tsp of McCormick Montreal
Cheese of choice
1. Mix everything together and shape into patties
2. Grill for 5 minutes per side
Because these burgers are made with chicken breast they have almost no fat so it’s important to be careful about the cooking time. Don’t over do it or you will have hard little hockey pucks instead of tender juicy, burgers.
Before I list some ideas which are largely inspired by the overpriced options I see at stores, please note, try not to add ingredients that have a high moisture content. If your burgers get too wet and won’t stay together.
- Drain some Rotel Tomatoes and add 1/2 cup for Zesty South of the Border Burgers
- Add some sautéed Vidalia Onions for yummy Onion Burgers
- Add 1/2 cup chopped spinach and 1/2 cup of feta for some Spinach and Feta Burgers
- Add some chopped basil, garlic and Parmesan for Chicken Pesto Burgers