This week, the wee one is away at what we around these parts call Outdoor Ed. It’s a school week with his classmates learning about the environment and generally bonding right on the Chesapeake Bay. Lucky boy! And lucky us because the wee one can’t eat shrimp. So, when the cat’s away, the mice eat shrimp, or more specifically, the mice create a new recipe called…
Shrimp Diablo Alfredo Pasta
1/2 stick butter
3 or more cloves crushed garlic
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup grated parmesan
cayenne pepper to taste
1 lb cooked shrimp
1 lb pasta
1. Start the water for the pasta.
2. Melt the butter and add the garlic and saute for a few minutes on medium.
3. Add the flour and let it sit for a minute. Stir gently until a nice butter floury garlicky paste forms. Your water should be boiling now so add the pasta to it!
4. Add the milk and stir to combine well. Keep stirring until the milk sauce thickens.
5. Add the parmesan. Stir stir stir!
6. Add the cayenne. Stir again! Should have a nice spicy alfredo sauce now.
7. When the pasta is done, drain it and combine with the sauce and shrimp and heat through.
I topped this with some chopped chives. Because I was making this primarily for the teenager who doesn’t like anything but Doritos to be spicy, I didn’t add a ton of cayenne. I probably added 1/4 tsp. I would have added more. And I might have thrown some chopped shallots in with the garlic to make this a really kicky, zesty dish!
I somehow got ridiculously large shrimp. They were easily 4 inches long each. They were “Colossal”. If I had been paying closer attention I would have gotten slightly smaller shrimp.
All in all, it was a very tasty dish and a nice diversion from the regular Alfredo based pasta I make AKA Crazy Sexy Pasta.