I have been trying for months to perfect the Roasted Chick Pea, and thanks to extensive research and trials, I am happy to say, I’ve done it! I have tried many brands of chick peas; store brands, name brands, organic, etc. I’ve tried very hot ovens and medium hot ovens. I’ve tried long roasting times and shorter times. I think you get it. I’ve tried a lot of methods and I simply couldn’t get the chick peas to dry out completely.
The trick it seems, is using dried chick peas, cooking them and then roasting them. This is beyond ridiculous. I am saying that you take something dry, rehydrate it just so you can dry it out again. It makes no sense. I am asking for your trust. Please, trust me on this.
Perfect Roasted Chick Peas
1 1/2 cups dried chick peas
1. Place the dried chick peas in a 2 or 3 quart pot.
2. Cover with water and cook on medium for 60 minutes
3. After the hour is up, drain the chick peas, dry them a bit and place them in a single layer on a pan sprayed with cooking spray.
4. Place in a 375 degree oven and roast for 90 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
5. When the 90 minutes are over, turn off the oven and leave the chick peas in there for another 30 minutes.
6. Remove and season as desired.
I opted to season my chick peas with only sea salt. You can add some garlic powder or cayenne pepper or toss them with Parmesan while they are still hot. Roasted chick peas are a great little snack and are much healthier than chips, of course.
Today was another shocking day. As if paying taxes isn’t enough, now we again struggle to process the senseless brutality that occurred in Boston this afternoon. Today, I hope you did the things you love, with the people you love. I cooked because it helps me make sense of the things that don’t make sense. I really hope I don’t have to hit the kitchen and cook while fighting off tears ever again.