I recently saw a recipe for White Bean and Roasted Garlic Hummus from The Big Giant Food Basket on Foodie Friends Friday (see button for party on the lower right of this page). I have been intrigued with the idea of using something other than chick peas for hummus and this recipe inspired me.
If you like hummus and you haven’t made it yourself, I hope you’ll give it a try. It’s another fun food to experiment with. Think of all the ways it’s offered in the store. You can do that yourself in minutes at home!
White Bean, Spinach and Basil Hummus
29 oz can of white beans like cannellini
3 cloves crushed garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
fresh basil (a handful should do)
2 handfuls of fresh spinach with the stems removed
1. Put everything but the water in the food processor and process until it’s all combined. It will be thick.
2. Start slowly adding water until it gets to the consistency of Greek yogurt. You will not need more than 1/4 cup.
Serve with fresh veggies, crackers or as a spread on a yummy fresh veggie sandwich. We devoured ours with Triscuits. Have you tried Triscuits lately? They have lots of flavors!
Here are some other ideas for making Hummus:
- Spinach and Feta
- Spicy with your choice of hot pepper
- Red Pepper – stir in the peppers after you have everything else processed
- Sun Dried Tomato – stir those in, too