Remember a few posts ago when I mentioned that I had my loving spouse grill some chicken breasts for me so I could have cooked chicken ready for the week? He wanted to slather all of them with barbecue sauce. I got him to cease and desist on the barbecue sauce. I was afraid it would limit what I could do with the chicken. One of the things I wanted to make was Chicken Pot Pie. Then I thought, what if I did make Chicken Pot Pie with barbecue chicken. Could be good. So I did.
Barbecue Chicken Pot Pie
1 box Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
2-3 chicken breasts, chopped up
1 cup of corn
2 cups potatoes, cooked and chopped
1/2 cup Barbecue sauce
1. Follow the instructions for Jiffy Corn Pie Crust. You will only make one crust for the bottom of the pie. It can be thick to hold the robust ingredients. The pie is “open faced”.
2. Combine the chicken with barbecue sauce and onions.
3. Combine corn and potatoes. Corn can be frozen, fresh, cooked kernels, or canned.
4. Scoop the chicken mixture into the bottom of the crust. Then add potato and corn mixture on top of that.
5. Top with cheese. I used about a cup. Adjust amount and variety of your cheese to your taste.
6. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.
I have some real lovers of Chicken Pot Pie in my house and they really loved this. One pie was only enough for one dinner, and two people took it for lunch the next day and that was all she wrote!
This didn’t stay together very well with the ingredients layered. No one really seemed to care. If you want, you could mix the potatoes and corn with some flour and chicken broth to make it hold together better. And some broth and flour with the chicken, etc will help that hold, too.
We used Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey Barbecue Sauce. That seems to be a family favorite. You, of course, are welcome to use any kind you like.