“Are you going to make some scones?”
I hear this at least once a month. My darling spouse loves scones. While they aren’t hard to make, they require cream cheese and buttermilk which I rarely have. Since I was baking anyway today, I decided to get some so I could make him his treat. I was also asked to use a Chobani product as part of their#MadeWithChobani project. So this turned out to be a “two birds, one stone” baking event!
Cranberry Orange Scones
3 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 container of Chobani Blood Orange yogurt
6 oz buttermilk
1 cup frozen cranberries – I used a mix that had cranberries infused with cherry, mango and peach
4 oz cream cheese
1. Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
2. Add the butter and mix until the mixture is like bread crumbs.
3. Add the yogurt and give the mixer two or three turns. Not too much!
4. Add the fruit and do the same.
5. Same thing with the buttermilk, and finally, with the cream cheese.
6. Drop by spoonful onto a baking sheet covered in parchment.
7. Bake at 425 for 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of the scones. Bigger=longer baking time.
8. Serve as soon as possible. They’re best when they are fresh, fresh, fresh!
I topped my scones with a glaze I made with a little powdered sugar and orange juice. I have to say, they were pretty tasty! I liked the little bite the yogurt added to the flavor. It was perfect with the cranberries. And the glaze was a nice, sweet contrast. They got a big smile from the main recipient. He was a very happy camper!
The good news is that I have enough buttermilk and cream cheese to make another batch on Christmas morning! Lucky family!
If you’re interested, Chobani has a lot of very good recipes right on their site. Here’s a handy dandy link for you! http://www.chobani.com/culture/recipes