Do you have a formal Christmas Eve dinner, or is it more casual? Ours is definitely on the casual end. In the past few years on Christmas Eve, we have dealt with a whole range of minor crises from emergency root canals to broken sump pump pipes. A formal dinner is the last thing I would have needed to deal with. I am very thankful for this easy dinner tradition in our home.
This year, we will once again have soup, cheese and crackers, shrimp, for those who can, fruit, and as an added treat, I have made some Spicy Glazed Pecans.
These are remarkably easy to make. They take about 20 minutes from start to finish. If you don’t like pecans, consider using almonds or walnuts or even peanuts! I’m excited to have these on top of a cracker with camembert and a little slice of apple!
Spicy Glazed Pecans
3 cups pecan halves
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
2 tbsp water
1/2 tsp or more cayenne pepper
1. Dissolve the sugar with everything but the pecans. Use a heavier sauce pan if you have one and stir a lot.
2. Bring to a boil for a minute or two.
3. Add the pecans and stir around so they are all coated.
4. Place on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
5. Bake for 15 minutes at 350.
6. When done, cool on waxed paper and separate.
These are great in soup, salad and give a great kick to a hot fudge Sunday. I’m sure you’ll find many uses for them for the holidays and many other times of the year.
Enjoy! And Merry Christmas!