2014 fizzled out in our house. That flu epidemic you’ve been hearing about? Trust me. It’s not fun. I managed to get to work but by the end of the day yesterday, the constant coughing that hit in the late afternoon had left me totally drained. I was in bed by 7:30.
2015 deserved a festive start, but something that wasn’t going to take a lot of energy to make. Baked French Toast is always good, and you can do a lot with it. I had some raspberry pastry filling and cream cheese so adding the two to Baked French Toast sounded pretty good to me!
Raspberry Cream Cheese Baked French Toast
1/2 a baguette, cut into small pieces
1 can raspberry pie filling or 1 cup raspberry preserves
4 oz cream cheese cut in chunks
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp or more vanilla
1. Spray 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange the bread pieces in the pan.
2. Spoon the raspberry filling on top of the bread, and then dot it with your cream cheese chunks.
3. Combine the last four ingredients and beat until nice and light and a little airy. Poor over the bread, etc.
4. Allow to stand until the egg mixture is absorbed by the bread. You may want to slowly turn the pan from side to side. Be careful so you don’t end up with your French Toast on your kitchen floor!
5. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
6. Served topped with fresh raspberries and maple syrup.
Please note, no extra sugar in this dish. Of course, raspberry pastry filling is pretty sweet. So is maple syrup. Point being, you’re going to put sweet stuff in this and on it. No more sugar is needed.
We are all sitting together watching The Today Show. Not sure why. We usually only watch it on the weekends. But it’s fine. Everyone I love is right by my side, including my little fluffy dog.
Happy New Year!