So the thing about picking berries is that you have lots of berries to consume very quickly. We froze about half of them but still had about four pounds to use. Hopefully you saw the Double Berry Dump Cake. Maybe you saw my Sangria Smoothie, also a great use of freshly frozen berries.
I wanted to bake with some of my berries today because, a) it wasn’t very hot, and b) I love berries in baked goods.
Berry Quick Bread
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup or more fresh berries – I probably used a lot more than a cup
1. Combine the sugar, eggs, and oil and mix well.
2. Add flour, baking soda, and cinnamon and mix. The batter will be very thick.
3. Add the vanilla to the milk and stir it into the batter.
4. Gently fold in the berries.
5. Pour batter into three small loaf pans sprayed with cooking spray, sprinkle the top with sugar, and bake for 40-50 minutes at 350.
You may recognize the base recipe as similar to my pumpkin chocolate chip bread. This has proven to be a great basic quick bread that is easy to modify. The pumpkin version don’t need milk. They’re wet enough without it. This one needed the milk.
If you like your breads sweeter, you can add more sugar but it really isn’t necessary. You can also substitute other fruit for the berries, like peaches, nectarines, chopped apple, etc.
I’m pretty sure this is my last berry post, but you know, zucchini is pretty abundant right now, so prepare yourselves for a ton of zucchini related recipes!