I have no idea why my blog posts have dropped off so badly. We still eat, but I think the extra activities in My Faithful Assistant’s schedule have turned dinner into something we just do and don’t really plan as much.
I was thankful for an activity free day yesterday so I could make some broth from the remains of a roast chicken. And with that broth, I made some…
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
3 stalks of celery
3 cloves of garlic
6 or more cups of broth
4 cups broccoli florets
2 tbsp butter
2 cups cheese (give or take)
1/2 cream, milk, or half and half
Salt and pepper to taste
1. With a bit of olive oil, saute the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic in a stock pot over medium heat.
2. Add the broccoli and 2 cups of broth and cook until the broccoli softens, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the rest of the broth, and, using a wand blender, blend the soup until it reaches the desired consistency. We don’t like our soup super smooth so we could still see little bits of broccoli.
4. Stir in the milk, butter, and cheese. I used mozzarella, cheddar, and parmesan. I didn’t measure how much cheese I put in. I just threw it in and decided after it was mixed in if I needed more. I know that I can grab about 3/4 shredded cheese in a handful. Precise, I know.
5. Add the salt and pepper and when the cheese and butter have melted, serve.
It’s hardly cold here. The forecasted high today is 60. I am watching the Seahawks suffer in the Minnesota cold. I have vivid memories of the Minnesota cold. How we would go from the magical holiday season to the insane cold and gloom of the seemingly never-ending Minnesota winter. I don’t miss it.