I cannot express to you how much I love this chicken dish. It has so many wonderful qualities, I don’t know where to begin! Surprisingly enough, this chicken is a pretty big hit in my house, even though it has tomatoes and fresh spinach, two things that my darling children abhor. It’s a hit with me because it is very easy, almost mindless recipe. I don’t measure anything at all. There is no chopping, just a little tomato slicing that I can sometimes outsource to My Faithful Assistant if he isn’t busy being a surly teen on a growth spurt. Mostly, I assemble it and bake it and we all live happily ever after.
Chicken with Spinach and Pesto
Four chicken breasts
6 oz pesto
Four roma tomatoes, sliced
Four big handfuls of fresh spinach
Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray a 9×13 glass baking dish with pan spray
- Put the chicken in the pan, and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon pesto over the chicken.
- Arrange the spinach over that.
- Add the tomato slices.
- Cover with cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 375. Cooking time will vary, depending on the size of the chicken breasts. Mine were quite large and I actually had to cook them for an hour.
You could serve this with some angel hair on the side for all the pesto that you will have in the pan. But I prefer to serve it with a nice crusty bread. And may I point out that if you have a little assistant of your own, they can easily make this alone. Roma tomatoes are easy to slice with a serrated knife. Or you could leave them out and avoid that risk altogether! Just think of how much fun it would be to prepare this by remote control from the comfort of your office! And for once, you can come home to dinner waiting for you!