In mid January, nothing seems more important than the sun. And since days are short and cold, today, I got my dose of sun from these delightful Sun Nut Butter Bars.
I mostly follow the original recipe and make the bars with coconut flour, almond flour, and coconut sugar so they are gluten free. I love the slight aroma of coconut that comes from the flour and sugar. It gives these bars a little tropical flair. Even more sun! I added the sea salt and vanilla. I feel like dessert is missing something if it doesn’t have a little vanilla in it.
Sun Butter Bars
1 cup+ 1 tbsp sun butter
1 cup coconut flour
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla – I used powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup almond milk
1 cup chocolate chips
- Combine the flours, sugar and spices and mix well.
- Add 1 cup of the sun butter and mix until a thick batter forms.
- Gradually add the almond milk 1/4 cup at a time to moisten the batter. It should be thick but not crumbly.
- Press into a 9 inch square pan lined with parchment.
- Melt the chocolate chips with 1 tbsp of sun butter and spread over the top of the bars.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours until chilled and set.
I have very fond memories of Peanut Butter Bars from elementary school lunch. But your average Peanut Butter Bar is loaded with butter, sugar and more sugar. I figure if I can’t even read the recipe without feeling a little queasy, best not to make them.
Nothing about this recipe makes me queasy. They are a nice satisfying treat without leaving me full or guilty.