I love tacos! They’re so fast and so fun to eat. Everyone loves them and they work with fish, shrimp ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken… EVERYTHING!
What I do not love about tacos is the packaged taco seasoning. It has too much sodium and it leaves me feeling bloated and sad.
I have always thrown together my own mix of spices for tacos and I thought I’d share it with you. I rarely ever measure what I add to my meat so the measurements below are “guesstimates.” Depending on your palate, add more or less of any of the ingredients to suit your taste. The amounts below were for three ground chicken breasts. I think it was just about a pound of meat.
1/2 tsp + cumin
1/2 tsp + chili powder
1/4 tsp + cayenne pepper
2 or more cloves of garlic, crushed
1. Throw all the spices in a pan with the meat of our choice. Cook until done.
2. Serve on your choice of taco shell with cheese, lettuce, chopped tomatoes, salsa or whatever else you have.
I used ground chicken for my taco in the picture. And I was so lucky to get avocado that was perfectly ripe so I could throw together a side of Avocado Salsa. Here’s how that shaped up:
2 avocados, cut in cubes
1 Roma tomato, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
a dash of cayenne pepper
juice of 1/2 a lime
1. Cut everything up and put it in a bowl.
2. Toss it around gently so the avocado stays in cubes.
3. Squeeze the lime juice over the top and gently toss again.
You can add black beans and corn to this, too and you will have a wonderful vegetarian filling for your tacos.
Since it’s going to be so lovely out this week, I recommend you make some tacos and enjoy a meal on the patio.